Here's the story...

I needed to prime my oiling system, rather than buy the right tool I decided to be cheap and use a socket and extension rig. I put the sockets into a screwdriver (the kind with removable bits) and tested the connection to the oil pump drive shaft. Once I found the right one I turned it a few times by hand to see if the resistance was appropriate and pulled the screwdriver out. At this point you have probably guessed what happened, you are right. The bit and the extension slipped out of the end of the screwdriver and into the block to the point where I could not see them!

So, I removed the rack and pinion, the tie rods, and all 2,000 oil pan bolts. Dropped the pan (not literally) while it was full of oil, and retrieved my tool 9which was just laying there on the crank assembly. Then I snapped a few pictures of the motors bottom end and put everything back together. Getting topside I wrapped a piece of electrical tape to the shaft of the extension and the socket and firmly mounted the extension into my electric drill. The motor primed without event, I let it run for at least 60 seconds hearing the oil gurgle through the valve covers and then pulled the assembly up and out. Only to see the socket drop from the end of the extension (where the tape had come loose) and back into the block. After one brief expletive I put the tools down, closed the garage door and went inside for the day.

Sigh...

Anyhow, here are the pictures I snapped during the process, in the first picture you can see the part that I removed right between the creeper and the pan.